Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Long Nap

A long nap is a generous gift for a stay at home mom of an infant. My poor little guy is suffering from a cold, so I'm encouraging him to sleep as much as possible. Our days this week have been sleep, nurse, sleep, nurse, etc. Today he's decided to take a marathon nap, which immediately puts me into a frenzy of "how many things can I get done before he wakes up?!" One of those things is usually to try and spend some time with God, which has definitely become more of a challenge since becoming a mom. I never thought laundry or cleaning the toilet would become a temptation, but I find myself longing for the feeling of accomplishment that comes with doing those things. I often put them ahead of taking a few minutes alone with God, and then the angel wakes up and my focus goes back to him. Today, though, God blessed me with some words from Hebrews 10: 19-22. "Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water." I've noticed how often I deal with guilt as a new mom. I'm tired, but I should play with him more instead of praying he would take a nap. I should be singing and rocking him instead of nursing him twice in an hour so I can drink another cup of coffee and watch Kathie Lee and Hoda. Today God reminded me that guilt is not from Him. I am confidently standing in the Most Holy Place because of Jesus' blood alone, and I am walking in the freedom that brings. He's still sleeping...maybe I'll go tackle that toilet.

1 comment: